Sunday 5 February 2012

Book Layout Tests

Happy Sunday!

I've not had much opportunity for finishing new work this week, but here are some quick mockups of page layouts for the book (coming before the end of the year, hopefully!). Nothing fancy, just trying to work out how many images to use on different pages. I have about 100ish pictures that I'm considering using at the moment and I reckon I'll average about 3 images per 2 page spread. So by my crude arithmetic, that means I currently have enough for about a 60 page book - I'm aiming to get somewhere around 100 pages eventually. I'm planning to do some step-by-steps for different techniques that will spread things out a little more and there'll be a fair amount of text devoted to the story and explaining the visual development, but as it stands I'm still a long way from having all the images I want. We'll see how much I can get done in the next 6-9 months... Text and everything else super temp BTW...


































I also managed to do a concept for that sculpt I started last week. I'm still trying to decide on a definite aesthetic for presenting characters. I'll keep experimenting for now...



More soon,

Cheers!

10 comments:

Nathan Dearsley said...

Great stuff as always Nick, Sundays are turning into quite a treat for followers, Love the layout of the book, have you considered aging the paper a little more?

Taylor Clutter said...

Sweet man! Looking cool. I'll buy it as soon as you start selling it!

Jeff Parrott said...

Do want. Where I can preorder?

Szymon Biernacki said...

Wow! I didn't know there's going to be a book... Awesome! I'll keep a place for it on my shelve:)

Mayavan Thevendra said...

Looks good Nick - think I'd agree with Nathan about the paper, also that handwriting font seems a little tricky to read, though that may just be my bad eyes.

More pleeze.

Da Masta Cheef said...

These look fantastic!

Unknown said...

This has been a great "story-in-development" to follow and I look forward to seeing it in it's final form! (book???, collectable figures???, movie???)

Nick Carver said...

Cheers guys!

Nathan and Mya: Cheers for the feedback. Will definitely play around with some aging and yeah, the font is a little too decorative for large amounts of text. I will save it for titles or something and use a more legible one for the main body.

Jeff Parrott: I don't have anything set up for pre-orders just yet (the format and final content of the book is still in flux). I'll be sure to set up a link for pre-orders as soon as I'm able to though.

Brian: Ideally, all of those! A man can dream... Seriously though, I am toying with the idea of producing collectible figures/maquettes in very limited number, but I need to do more research in to costs.

Peter Oedekoven said...

Dude, thats awesome...I always wanted (and still would love to find the time) to do such a book.
Its always about finding the time and the money:)
And you definetly got the skills for such a task!
Great !!!

Chromi - Estevao Chromiec said...

how! are these pages from your book! Awesome! I'd like to buy an issue!